[python-win32] Vista and listening sockets

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Tue May 6 19:22:03 CEST 2008

le dahut wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When launching an app that opens a socket, windows Vista complains
> that I have to accept it before it is launched and then that the
> firewall accepts the opening of the port.
>
> Is there a way to register my app to be launched by users without UAC
> warning ?
>
> Is there a way to open the port on the firewall inside the program or
> its installer ?

You can tweak the firewall settings, but you have to be UAC to do so,
because you have to write to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry hive.  If
you have a setup application that has "setup" in the file name, this
should work.  BTW, this may be the longest registry path you will ever
encounter:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
      System\
        CurrentControlSet\
          Services\
            SharedAccess\
              Parameters\
                FirewallPolicy\
                  DomainProfile\
                    AuthorizedApplications\
                      List\

Within that key, create a REG_SZ value whose name is the path to your
application, whose value is a 4-part string separated by colons:
    <path-to-app>:*:Enabled:<friendly name>

Put the same thing into
                  StandardProfile\
                    AuthorizedApplications\