[python-win32] Python Service does not start at Windows boot but at user's logon

spoirot stephane.poirot at linbox.com
Wed Jun 11 11:05:52 CEST 2008

Mark Hammond wrote :
> Another drawback is that if your service fails for any reason, a fairly
> important part of Windows will also fail to work.  The RPCSS service isn't
> *really* dependent on your service; abusing service dependencies for this
> reason is (IMO) courting much bigger problems.

I totally agree with you. I have found another dependency to use :
Themes, which is less heavy than RPCSS.
This works, but it does not make exactly what I want. Indeed, I would
like to set some values in a HKLM subkey
at windows boot, in order that changes are effective as soon as a user
logs in after boot sequence. In my case,
registry values are well written, but changes aren't effective yet... So
user needs to reboot.
I tried to use the FlushKey() method from _winreg module in order to
immediately write changes to registry.
Changes are written, but not effective. I thought that user's login
refreshed the registry, and then changes could
have taken effect, but it seems not to be really the case.
Is there any other Python _winreg method that could force registry
changes to become effective as soon as
changes are written into the registry ?

Regards,

SP