[python-win32] no array returned in output parameter

Enric Jaen enricjaen at yahoo.es
Mon Dec 15 14:55:04 CET 2008

Hi,

** Situation **

Using python 2.6.1.
I have the following method generated by makepy.py:

def GetFilters(self, pvarFilterArray=defaultNamedNotOptArg, pnArraySize=defaultNamedNotOptArg):
        """method GetFilters"""
        return self._oleobj_.InvokeTypes(68, LCID, 1, (24, 0), ((16396, 0), (16387, 0)),pvarFilterArray
            , pnArraySize)

As you see, the method has two output params: The first is of type pointer to a Variant (which the COM object should fill with an array) and the second a pointer to a type long.

But when I invoke that method it returns a tuple as if there were no data:

>>> r.GetFilters()
(None, 0)

i.e array is Null with size is 0.

The same is happening with other methods that have an output array.

- Which type represents 16396 ?
- What win32com does when it receives a Variant containing an array?
- Has someone faced the same problem? Where else can I have a look?

I will appreciate any help as I am stacked.

/Enric