[python-win32] rebooting windows from Python

Alec Bennett whatyoulookin at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 5 22:11:02 CET 2008

> Is this capability not already part of XP?
> I've got my machines set to go to sleep after 1 hour,
> no programming needed.
> Right click on the Desktop, Properties, ScreenSaver, Power.

A couple of problems with doing it like that:

1) if you set your computer to go to sleep after X minutes, you'll have to unset it next time or it'll go to sleep when you didn't mean it to. In other words that method isn't good for a one time thing.

2) I don't think there's a control panel method for shutting down or rebooting, but I could be wrong. And if there is, it'll probably hang on the question "would you like to save your work?" if you had any documents open or a stubborn application that won't close.

3) you can't pause Winamp, which is the main thing I made this for.

To me the bigger criticism is that there are probably 600 other programs that do the same thing, but what fun would it be for me to use someone else's program...