[python-win32] VS.NET2005; missing include/lib paths and libraries

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Tue Sep 25 23:30:06 CEST 2007

Stephen Warren wrote:

> OK. So, for the official Python builds, which platform SDK is used? When
> I edit the docs to note that it's required, I guess I should specify
> which one to use!

Well, I'm just being particularly catty.  I doubt that Python is using
anything Vista-only, so the one included with VS2005 (which is the
"Windows Server 2003 SP1 SDK") should be just fine.

> Also, my eventual desire is to submit a patch to implement hard-link
> functionality for Win32 via CreateHardLink. I'm not sure if this kind of
> thing influences the version of the Platform SDK that's required.

It shouldn't.  CreateHardLink has existed since Windows 2000.  However,
remember that it only works on an NTFS filesystem.

> I suspect that in order to allow for backwards-compatibility (i.e. Python
> still runs on e.g. Win95), I should follow the same trick used for other
> optional API functions, and not statically link against the
> library/function, but instead acquire the function's address at run-time.

Right.
Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com