[python-win32] Converting VB COM register program to Python

r c chlo.prog at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 16:00:50 CEST 2007

I'm trying to convert VB code that registers COM+ components to Python. I'm
unable to set values on COMAdminCatalogObject using the Value() method, it
seems to think I'm trying to call the get method?

VB Code:
Dim cat As COMAdminCatalog
Set cat = New COMAdminCatalog
Dim apps As COMAdminCatalogCollection
Set apps = cat.GetCollection("Applications")
Dim app As COMAdminCatalogObject
Set app = apps.Add
app.Value("ID") = AppID

Python Code:
objCOMAdminCatalog = win32com.client.Dispatch("COMAdmin.COMAdminCatalog")
objApplications = objCOMAdminCatalog.GetCollection("Applications")
objCOMAdminCatalogObject = objApplications.Add()
print "ID", objCOMAdminCatalogObject.Value("ID")  #This is returning the
random ID
# app.Value("ID") = AppID # SyntaxError: can't assign to function call
objCOMAdminCatalogObject.Value("ID", AppID) #Exception thrown
Returns the following error:
TypeError: Value() takes at most 2 arguments (3 given)

Thanks
rc