[python-win32] Trying to build debug version of win32 extensions

Gerrat Rickert grickert at coldstorage.com
Fri Jul 6 23:22:10 CEST 2007

I'm trying to build a debug version of the win32 extensions (basically
to help track down a memory leak in a COM automation program I've
written).  To that end, I purchased a Visual C++ .Net Deluxe Learning
Edition Book (which is probably the cheapest way to get the Visual C++
compiler required).  Following the instructions in the source
distribution, I was able to build a debug version of python from source
(unfortunately, I know very little about C/C++).  I checked out the
python win32 source files, and am trying to build a debug version of
this as well, but I'm not having much success.  Though matter where I
place the main directory with the win32 source files, it still fails to
compile - I get an error:

LINK: fatal error LINK1104: cannot open file 'python24_d.lib'

[I'm trying to build using: "python setup.py -q build -debug"]

This file exists in the directory I compiled the debug version of the
main python distribution, but I'm not sure what I need to do so that the
setup program can find it.

Any help/direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gerrat