[python-win32] Mailslot

Michel Claveau mc at mclaveau.com
Mon Dec 10 00:12:52 CET 2007

Hi!

Mailslot is a simple & fast IPC (Inter Processus Call) (who use UDP & SMB).
It's inside Windows from long time ago.

With Vista, the (re)-new tool  Waitfor.exe can use it, for synchronize
batchs, applis or scripts (in local computer or in a LAN).

This next code show the use of Python+PyWin32 for send a signal to Mailslot.
Like a "client" Mailslot:

    import win32file,win32con
    mailslot =
win32file.CreateFile(r'\\.\mailslot\waitfor.exe\ALERTTEST',
win32file.GENERIC_WRITE, 0, None, win32con.CREATE_NEW, 0, None)
    win32file.WriteFile(mailslot, "ABC")
    mailslot.Close()

Now, my problem is:  I am not able to write a Mailslot server.  I don't
found any wrapper of the (kernel32) CreateMailslot et ReadFile  functions.

On this subject, Google is not my friend...

Any idea?   Perhaps a feature for the next release of PyWin32?

Thank you to have read me.

Michel Claveau