[python-win32] Symbolic links/junctions in windows

Marc Dubrowski marc.dubrowski at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 13:17:15 CEST 2006

Hi Mark, thanks for your answer.

I'm afraid I have not been clear enough in the the description of what I
want to do: i want symbolic links, also called junctions by microsoft.

For the moment, the management of properties on files and folders is
disastrous: some users can more less do what they want about this. This
creates lots of problems and confusion. For example, if someone  moves from
a department to another one, he should no longer be authorized to read/write
the documents in the folder of the former department.  As the permissions
are granted to users instead of groups, It is far than trivial to find out
on which folders  the authorizations should be removed/changed

We need to change this and teach the users how to work with more discipline,
but not too much: they don't all realize really what a server is. (It is not
unusual for them to copy a file locally on different PCs, and still thinking
they are working on the same document)

My idea is as follow: every user will have 2 network drive: P: (for public
data) and U: (for users data).
In the U: drive, there will be the 'my document' folder. Physically, it will
be on one drive of the file server. With quotas on.
Beside the 'my document' folder, there will be as many folders as groups the
user is member of.
Practically, these folders will be on another drive of the server: one per
group. What I want is to create a symbolic link on the server: from
h:\group_folder to u:\%username%\group_folder for all the groups the user is
member of.

The advantage is that the h: drive on the server would not be visible on the
network.

Windows shell links, as far as I have understood, creates link files
(*.lnk). It wouldn't work and would oblige me to share the h: drive's
content, which I don not want.

A batch file would use linkd.exe from the w2k3 resource kit, or
junction.exefrom sysinternals.

But I guess it would be better for my scripts (create_user, modify_users,
delete_users) if they could just call the win32 api instead of using
os.popen().

Is there a way to accomplish this ?

Thanks

--