[python-win32] Compiling a Python Windows application

Bokverket bokverket at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 24 08:57:56 CET 2006

I wrote:

If you don't want to distribute the Python interpreter along with your app,
Is there a well-working way of compiling/byte-coding/whatever a Python app
and call it from within Microsoft Word? What run-time is needed?

Tim replied:
The Python interpreter *is* the run-time.  You need to deploy the
interpreter in order to run Python scripts.  Packages like py2exe allow
you to that in a way that is largely transparent to the end user.

Thanks Tim for your answer, what about reaching Python from within Word?
What I would like is a new menu in Word, clicking on a menu item would bring
up a dialog box where the user sets some parameters , clicking OK is to
start the Python app.   The open Word document and the parameters need to be
made available to the app.

Do I have to go through Visual Basic macros to do this or is there a _good_
way?!

All the best,

Goran Fagerstrom