[python-win32] Transparent Windows - API failure

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Thu Jul 6 08:52:32 CEST 2006

> Also, any workaround to using SetLayeredWindowAttributes on Win2000?
> I noticed in the docs it's not in win32gui to prevent issues with NT?

Well - "prevent issues" actually translates to "easier" :)  A better
work-around would be to have the C++ code use LoadLibrary, and I'd be happy
to accept such patches.

> winxpgui.SetLayeredWindowAttributes(hWND, bgColor, 50,
win32con.LWA_COLORKEY|win32con.LWA_ALPHA)
> Produces error...
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<pyshell#98>", line 1, in ?
>     winxpgui.SetLayeredWindowAttributes(hWND, win32api.RGB(255, 255, 255),
50, win32con.LWA_COLORKEY|win32con.LWA_ALPHA)
> error: (0, 'SetLayeredWindowAttributes', 'No error message is available')

I'm afraid all I can tell you is that the BOOL function
SetLayeredWindowAttributes failed, and it didn't call SetLastError to offer
any clues as to why.  My only advice is to look wider than the Python
universe to try and determine things that can cause the API function to
fail, in anyone's language.

Cheers,

Mark.