[python-win32] COM ports connecting

Roel Schroeven rschroev_nospam_ml at fastmail.fm
Wed Feb 22 14:01:22 CET 2006

Math schreef:
> Thank you all for your respond.
> However, I run into another problem I forgot to mention.
> My Laptop doesn't have a 9-pin Serial port, only USB-connectors, so I guess
> I have to buy a USB-Serial Converter to.....
> Does everythong else then remain the same?

Yes. The driver of the USB <-> Serial convertor will add a (virtual
port), probably COM5 or COM6. You just use that instead of COM1 or whatever.

> Do I then still have to use the 'import serial' or is there something for
> USB to?

You can just use import serial as with a real serial port. The module
doesn't see any difference between a real port or a virtual one: the
driver makes sure it looks just the same.

Roel Schroeven