[python-win32] monitoring application controls...

Brian Jarrett bjarrett at garcoschools.org
Sat Nov 12 20:40:03 CET 2005

Hello all,

I'm currently researching ways to use Python to monitor the state, data,
and events associated with controls (comboboxes, editboxes, etc.) using
Python and the win32 extensions.  I'd like to write a script that would
allow me to observe the changes that occur to an application's controls
while I use the application.  For example, logging the text that gets
entered in a combo box to a text file.

I've already found the necessary information for enumerating windows and
their controls, mostly by looking at the winguiauto.py example.

I guess I'm used to working with OnChange and OnClick events when
writing an application, but now I want to be able to "hook" into these
sort of events when outside of the application itself.

Where should I be looking?  Any help would be appreciated.

Brian