[python-win32] Feature request for Python's msi

Arlo arlo at arlim.org
Wed Jan 19 02:59:43 CET 2005

I couldn't really tell which list to post this to. This looked closest. Let
me know if it should go elsewhere.

I'd like a feature to be added to Python's windows installer. I want it to
set up two environment variables for me. It should:

1. Append %PythonInstallDir%\Scripts to the system PATH.
2. Append .PY to the system PATHEXT.

That way, if I install some tool that happens to have been written in
python, I can use it on the command line as

C:\somewhere\> foo arg arg

, rather than as:

C:\somewhere\> C:\Python24\Scripts\foo.py arg arg

The installer already sets up the .py extension; just please add this to the
search path. As is, I have to do this to every machine in the office.

Thanks.

Arlo