[python-win32] Python and LabView over COM? (again)

Frank Guenther xeoicq at netscape.net
Thu Apr 21 12:31:03 CEST 2005

Hi All,

 > I try to access LabView by Python-win32com but LabView crashes on
some COM-method calls.
 > The same calls work in VB.
 > Are there some known problem with the LabView COM implementation?

There is a strange behavior of  attribute/method access of the
COM-Object:  Methods are already called without using (..).
If I use method(..) I get the TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not
callable, but the method is obviously executed.

I found an old thread in a python-list that discusses the same problem.
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2003-February/150857.html

If I try the advice to use EnsureDispatch  I get following error:
  File "ExportVIStrings.py", line 19, in ?
    app=win32com.client.gencache.EnsureDispatch("LabVIEW.Application.7")
  File "C:\Python22\Core\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\gencache.py",
line 434, in EnsureDispatch
    disp_class = CLSIDToClass.GetClass(str(disp_clsid))
  File
"C:\Python22\Core\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\CLSIDToClass.py",
line 50, in GetClass
    return mapCLSIDToClass[clsid]
KeyError: {9A872071-0A06-11D1-90B7-00A024CE2744}

Are there some changes in win32com for Py23 or Py24 so that the problem
could be fixed?
How can I try to debug the dynamic.py to find the reason for the crashes
and strange behavior?

 From the NI LabView-support I got the answer the reason could be like
described here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241896/en-us?ln=en-us&sd=gn&fr=0
but I didn't get an explanation and can not see a connection between
this thread and my problem.

Ciao,
   Frank