[python-win32] Re: Pythonwin vs registry strangeness

Martin Bless m.bless at gmx.de
Thu Sep 23 11:51:27 CEST 2004

I'm glad I found this thread: Makes me feel I'm not alone and it
really helped. Running on WinXP Home, SP2(!); Python 2.3.4; win32
build 202.

Here are my observations:

(1) It's only been recently that PythonWin rendered unusable. Who's to
blame? I'm suspecting its a consequence of applying SP2 for WinXP, but
I have no proof.

I had all kinds of problems with the startup of PythonWin and its
debugger. Some of them seemingly on a random basis.

As "Gfeller Martin" <Martin.Gfeller at comit.ch> wrote, the bug entries
at SourceForge give some knowledge:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=78018&atid=551954&func=detail&aid=944506

There were really many entries in the debugger section of
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Python 2.3\Python for Win32

(1) I did experiment 1:

(a) delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Python 2.3\Python for Win32
(b) start PythonWin and step through the debugger. Doing this once
created about 20 entries, the second time left about 50 behind ...

(2) Experiment 2:
(a) delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Python 2.3\Python for Win32
(b) In  C:/Python23/Lib/site-packages/Pythonwin/pywin/debugger
disable line 467 like this:
      if 0: tb.dialog.SaveState()

Experiment 2 seems to be the cure in my case.

Have a nice day - happy again

mb - Martin Bless