[python-win32] Dictionary command

Larry Bates lbates at syscononline.com
Wed Nov 17 15:55:15 CET 2004

Nak,

Another suggestion that will help you in the future.
It is a REALLY bad idea to use built-in functions
like dict, list, str, etc. as variable names.  Once
you have made an assignment like:

dict={}

You do have an empty dictionary called 'dict' but
you have rebound the built-in dict function so it
can no longer be used in your program (I'll let you
refer to documentation on dict function).

A mistake we see a lot is the following:

str="abcdefg"

then later in the program you want to coerce something
to a string so you write

a=1.0
x=str(a)

You get traceback because str function has been kidnapped
(e.g. it is now a string variable that contains "abcdefg".

Good luck on learning programming/Python.

Regards,
Larry Bates
Syscon, Inc.

Message: 5