[python-win32] How to write to Applications Event Log without Adminprivileges?

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Fri Jul 9 05:48:29 CEST 2004

> Hello,
>
> The subject pretty much describes the problem.
>
> I'm running on Windows XP (professional) with Python 2.3.3.
>
> I'm seeing a registry "insufficient privilege" error when
> attempting to
> place entries in the Windows Application Event Log unless I'm
> logged in as
> an administrator.  What should I being doing differently?

That user doesn't have permission to write to the event log, so your choices
are simply to either give them the permission, or stop trying to write to
the log :)  Depending on what your app does, it may be possible to arrange
for your non-admin user to execute the program as an admin user - for
example, the non-admin user may be able to start and stop services which are
executed by the SYSTEM user, and therefore is able to write to this log.

Mark.