[python-win32] Problem with WMI and CAMO in Python

Tony Cappellini tony at tcapp.com
Tue Jan 13 20:04:36 EST 2004

I'm running Python 2.3 on Windows 98 (I see the same problem on Windows
2000)

I'm trying to import the wmi module from
http://tgolden.sc.sabren.com/python/wmi.html

When I do this, the following error message is displayed

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Download\Python\TimGolden\wmi>python
Python 2.3.3c1 (#50, Dec  4 2003, 21:27:34) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on
win32

>>> import wmi
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "wmi.py", line 117, in ?
    win32com.client.gencache.EnsureDispatch (obj._oleobj_)
  File "C:\PYTHON23\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\gencache.py", line
530, in
 EnsureDispatch
    raise TypeError, "This COM object can not automate the makepy process
- plea
se run makepy manually for this object"
TypeError: This COM object can not automate the makepy process - please
run make
py manually for this object

Unfortunately, the author- Tim Golden, doesn't know why this is happening,
and suggested posting here.

I've used the Makepy browser in PythonWin, but I don't see anything for
WMI- I'm not sure what to look for actually.

Has anyone here used WMI successfully with Python ?

thanks