[python-win32] Problem building pywin32

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Wed Dec 15 23:35:29 CET 2004

> I'm trying to build pywin32, and would like to know how to specify an
> override for the include directories.
> It's finding "shlobj.h" here:
> "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDK\include\shlobj.h"
>
> But I want it to use the one here:
> "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
> 2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\Include\ShlObj.h"
>
> Is there a way to pass this as a command line argument to setup.py ?

Unfortunately, there is not.  Why exactly do you want this?  For Python 2.3,
you don't want the MSVC7 header files, and for Python 2.4 (which does use
VC7), things seem to work fine for me here, even though I also have the SDK
installed.

I did yesterday manage to make a change to win32com.shell that no longer
builds on another box I have access to - I'm sorting that out now.  I see
breakage on 2.3 though which should never try and use the VC7 one, so I
doubt it is exactly the same problem.