[python-win32] process creation ID returned as a string, not an int

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Mon Oct 20 04:11:18 EDT 2003

With no particular insight on this, experimentation on my Win2K
 box shows that the id is neither an int nor a string, but rather
 an instance of an ISWbemProperty class. This class, if you're interested:

>>> print id.__class__
win32com.gen_py.565783C6-CB41-11D1-8B02-00600806D9B6x0x1x1.ISWbemProperty.IS
WbemProperty

I'll have a go on a Win98 box later today if I get the chance just
 to see if it's any different.

To ask a question that goes beyond the immediate problem, though,
 what are you trying to do with the return value? All I ever do is
 stash it away in some local or class variable so that I can
 refer to the process later, eg to terminate it. In that case, I
 don't care whether it's an int or a string or anything else: I just
 pass it back in to a WMI query. What are you using it for?

TJG

http://www.star.net.uk