[python-win32] beginner's question on network programming

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Thu Dec 4 18:12:47 EST 2003

> I should say, I found the documentation of XML-RPC, specifically for
> python, to be sketchy and irritating from a new user
> perspective.  So I
> suggest you don't waste your time reading until you've found a good
> tutorial.  I was barely able to find a good server example of
> xml-rpc in
> python!  If you or others on the list would like, I could
> walk you through
> my  most simple application as a tutorial.

As a side note, most of the Python/extensions docs follow this cycle:
* Technically smart person writes cool code, and very sketchy docs
(generally written for someone just like him/her)
* 500 people scratch their head, stumble around, post to mailing lists and
manage to put together a vague answer.  Many fail.
* One of the 500 picks up the ball and contributes real documentation.
* The next 500 people trying to use it have a much better life.

This is, unfortunately, the current nature of Open Source.  As Open Source
moves up the food chain, I hope to see that change, but it won't be soon.

While it may seem formidable, submitting docs and examples needn't be that
hard, and will generally be gratefully accepted.

Mark.