[python-win32] Win32 Mode

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Mon Dec 1 19:50:19 EST 2003

> >That's not what seems to be happening.  Here's the entire code:
> >
> >     import win32api
> >     win32api.InitiateSystemShutdown ('', '', 0, 1, 1)
> >
> >and this is the result:
> >
> >     Traceback (most recent call last):
> >       File "try.py", line 9, in ?
> >         win32api.InitiateSystemShutdown ('', '', 0, 1, 1)
> >     pywintypes.error: (120, 'InitiateSystemShutdown', 'This
> function is
> > only valid in Win32 mode.')

This error means "not available on Win9x" - I wish they just said that in
the error message :)

> Doing this on Win 2003 Server, logged on as administrator, yields:
>
>  >>> win32api.InitiateSystemShutdown ('', '', 0, 1, 1)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> pywintypes.error: (5, 'InitiateSystemShutdown', 'Access is denied.')

This is also expected - you have to use the win32security module to gain the
'privilege' to perform this operation - google should have a number of
example (and 'Python Programming on Win32' certainly does ;)

Mark.