[python-win32] Creating an installer for a COM server.

Pavlos Christoforou Pavlos Christoforou" <pavlos@gaaros.com
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:44:40 -0000

Hello everyone

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Hammond" <mhammond@skippinet.com.au>
To: <pavlos@gaaros.com>; <python-win32@python.org>
Sent: Friday, November 01, 2002 12:22 AM
Subject: RE: [python-win32] Creating an installer for a COM server.

> re-registering the COM servers *should* work after changing the location
of
> these modules.  COM object registration puts the full path to
> pythoncom22.dll in the registry, so changing the location of this will
> require re-registering.

It seems that the full path is not installed in the registry. Even if I
modified it manually COM objects raise an automation error ('the specified
module cannot be found') if accessed from VB but work fine if accessed from
python using win32com.client.Dispatch.

Basically I could not make COM servers work from VB unless PythonCOM22.dll,
python22.dll, and PyWinTypes22.dll exist in the winnt/system32 directory.

However I had no problem registering COM servers and using them from python
after following your instructions.

Thanks

Pavlos