[python-uk] Junior Developer Freelance Opportunity

mail at williammayor.co.uk mail at williammayor.co.uk
Fri Jan 15 07:06:50 EST 2021

Hi UK Python People,

I'm Billy, I'm a freelance software engineer and have been for ~10 years. I mostly use Python and I mostly make websites for clients.

COVID and lockdowns have really reduced the number of hours I have available to work for my clients. To remedy that I'm looking for a junior developer who can work with/for me.

A little about me and my work style:

I love the flexibility that freelancing brings. I get to decide how many hours of work I do each day, and I get to decide when I do them. I rarely work early mornings or evenings (unless I want to). Sometimes there's a deadline and I put in lots of hours. Other times I can relax and play video games during the day.

I'm not hugely fussed about earning loads of money. I'd rather work at a reduced rate (or for free) if the client is doing something good for the world. I'm happy to charge some clients higher rates in order to afford a pro bono client.

I'm not die-hard about any particular tool/library/framework. I'm more interested in finding the right tool for the job, and in exploring new tech. I've written plenty of websites/APIs both in Flask and Django. Recent sites have started to use FastAPI (which is awesome). Similarly on the frontend, maybe React is the right option, maybe Svelte or Vue. Maybe just Vanilla JS (or no JS) and old-school form submissions.

I aim for high quality work instead of speedy turnarounds. I advise clients about bigger picture things: personal data, accessibility, security, backups, etc. etc. I'll provide hosting/devops for clients if they want me to. I unit test most things, I integration test some things, I browser test very few things.

I have loads of side projects and tools that I've built for myself. I love building solutions to problems I come across. Maybe one day other people will pay for those solutions :)

A little bit about what I'm looking for:

Someone who likes the idea of the above work style :)

A Python developer with experience in Django (and Flask would be good). You don't have to be a master, but it would be good if you felt comfortable diving into an existing Django-based project.

Someone who can work from home... well, obviously... but also longer term. I don't have office space (it's unlikely we'll live near each other anyway), I just work from home.

Someone who is, or is willing to become, self-employed.

How much does it pay? It really depends on the client. We can negotiate :)

Does that sound interesting? Get in touch! Send some details about yourself (include a CV if you have one) to mail at williammayor.co.uk and we'll chat :)

Looking forward to meeting you :)

Billy