[python-uk] Transifex experiences - did it save enough time to justify the cost?

Richard Barran richard at arbee-design.co.uk
Thu May 28 08:52:59 CEST 2015

I’ve used Transifex on several projects, and so far it’s worked well.

As Pawel says, it doesn’t play well with version control and branching; when you send translation .po files to Transifex, it overwrites *everything* already there, so there is a real potential for losing work. In a similar way to what Pawel does, we only push to Transifex from our staging/beta branch.
Furthermore, we use Fabric and we’ve wrapped into a single command:
- pull down translation files from Transifex.
- compile to .mo files.
- extract new translatable strings from the source code.
- send the .po files to Transifex.
As long as no-one is translating *at that very moment*, we’re safe.

Overall, it’s very much worth the (low) cost, as it provides a nice UI for non-technical translators to work with: .po files are not user-friendly!

Big warning:
Transifex is only for translating the .po files, i.e. the hard-coded text strings in the templates and in the python source.

For translating the *content*, i.e. what’s managed in the admin, you’ll need a different tool.
At the place where I’m working we’ve used dango-hvad on several projects. Quite frankly, it’s a pain, it adds a *lot* to development time, and it’s the source of a large number of weird bugs in our codebase.
However - we have reviewed other apps, and so far our conclusion is (to use a famous quote) “django-hvad is the worst django content translations app, except all those other django content translations apps that have been tried from time to time.”

Hope to help,
Richard