[python-uk] hexagonal Django

Hansel Dunlop hansel at interpretthis.org
Fri Aug 15 12:49:25 CEST 2014

You know, if you started writing a stand alone module called pythonanywhere
that has no dependencies and was imported and used by Django, Tornado, and
any of the other bits and pieces I think you might find a *few *things to
put in there...

Not that I have any knowledge of that code base, of course ;-)

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Harry Percival <harry.percival at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks Peter!  I was speaking to Brandon at Pycon this year and he was
> telling me this was going to be his next talk to take on the road, and I
> was definitely looking forward to seeing it.  Matt O'Donnell was also
> there, and he's done a talk on this sort of thing recently too (
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGhL7IA6Dik). It's definitely in the air.
>
> My own modest attempts to approach the subject are in my book -- in
> chapter 19, where I show how striving for test isolation can
> (theoretically) push you towards something like a lean architecture (
> http://chimera.labs.oreilly.com/books/1234000000754/ch19.html) and in
> chapter 21, the wrap-up, where I waffle on about all these things (
> http://chimera.labs.oreilly.com/books/1234000000754/ch22.html)
>
> I don't think I managed to broach the subject nearly as cleanly as Brandon
> did.  I really admire his talks.  His data structures talk was one of the
> top 3 I saw at Pycon this year (
> http://pyvideo.org/video/2571/all-your-ducks-in-a-row-data-structures-in-the-s).
> Perfect pace, slides that complement rather than repeat the talk,
> fascinating and useful content...
>
> Anyways, back to our onions - I guess the thing that's always bothered me
> a bit about the "clean architecture" is that my main project
> (pythonanywhere) is "all boundaries", to use Gary Bernhardt's terminology.
> Or, to put it differently, I don't think we really have much in the way of
> "business logic".  We just turn Http requests into commands that go to
> processes.  There's really not much in the way of "logic" in the way.  No
> calculations or business rules to speak of.  So it's never seemed worth it,
> to us.
>
> And sometimes I think -- aren't many web projects just thin CRUD wrappers
> around a database?  Is going to all the trouble of isolating your business
> logic from, eg, django, really worth it in most cases?
>

> On 13 August 2014 13:09, Daniel Pope <lord.mauve at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Coincidentally, I blogged on the topic of Django project organisation at
>> the weekend.
>>
>> http://mauveweb.co.uk/posts/2014/08/organising-django-projects.html
>>
>> May be of interest?

> --