[python-uk] Python Trademark at Risk in Europe

Michael sparks.m at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 12:01:50 CET 2013

In order to get support at work regarding this, I decided to do some
digging, and it turns out, looking at archive.org, that the company in
question or at least the domain in question - has been used to mean "python
internet" or "python internet services" off and on since 1998.

It's also been called cheapnet, and various other things in its early days
by the looks of things.

The blog description is slightly inaccurate in saying that the company in
question have only just started using the name - they appear to have used
the name off and on for 15 years.

This doesn't mean to say that the trademark application has merit - it
doesn't - I first did a python tutorial around 15 years ago, and there were
published books etc at the time, but it doesn't help to say "they've just
started using this", when that's not really quite the case.

The question I'd personally have (which is unclear from the domain name) is
whether this is the same company today (through acquisition or merger) as
the company from 1998?

(I still think the trademark application hasn't got any merit, but given
the fact they came back  to use the same name over a period of years, I can
see what probably led them to think (incorrectly) they could/should try to
get it)

Michael.