[python-uk] Game of Life / TDD ideas

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Tue Feb 7 16:51:40 CET 2012

On 07/02/2012 15:44, Jonathan Hartley wrote:
> On 07/02/2012 13:41, Nicholas H.Tollervey wrote:
>> [snip]
>> I feel very uncomfortable promoting "one true way" to do development
>> since I think it's essential that people discover what works best for
>> them after reflection and exploration of lots of different solutions
>> rather than forming habits due to a "that's just how it should be
>> done" mentality.
>  > [snip]
>

> I agree with that, but I also feel that there is value in sometimes
> devoting time to push a practice like hardcore TDD, because it's
> something that a lot of people have little exposure to. They think they
> understand it, because it sounds simple on the surface, but they never
> get chance, or lack the experience and determination, to actually try it
> out in depth, and hence people underestimate its value.

> The danger of not pushing "one true way" is that one might end up
> pushing none, and so devolving into an unstructured free-for-all (which
> is fun, but perhaps is only part of what a Dojo could be?)
>
> This gives me an idea for a future Dojo night. Separate post...
>
> Jonathan

FWIW I agree with Jonathan here in that it's definitely worth
*demonstrating* or *advocating* the benefits of one approach or
another (even, perhaps, to the extent on focusing on it for
the whole of one Dojo) without necessarily *mandating* its use
throughout.

To give a slightly less contentious example, I would be very
much in favour of someone demonstrating the best practice for
a non-trivial Git workflow. DVCS isn't the only way to go;
even if it is, Git isn't the only player in that arena. But
seeing someone competent demonstrate its value would give
the uncertain some guidance and might offer even the experienced
some insight.

TJG