[python-uk] hexagonal Django

Menno Smits menno at freshfoo.com
Tue Dec 4 18:46:59 CET 2012

On 2012-12-04 14:46, Jonathan Hartley wrote:

> I haven't, yet, but I'm thinking of refactoring a vertical slice of our
> monster Django app into this style, and I'd love to hear if you think
> it's crazy / brilliant / obvious / old-hat, etc.

Since you mentioned this a few weeks back, I've been thinking about this
approach a lot and doing a fair bit of background reading on the idea. I
think it falls in to the brilliantly-obvious category, at least for any
app of significant size. I plan to start using these ideas for my next
big work project (not Django however). Previously, I've tended towards
less flexible, harder-to-test, layered architectures.

My main concern is that I can see this approach resulting in a lot of
extra code to support the interfaces between the core application and
the peripheral components. This is probably worth the cost however. I
guess I'll see once I use the approach in anger.

Menno