[python-uk] Open Tech 2005 (Hammersmith) : Kamaelia Talk & Sprint

Michael Sparks ms at cerenity.org
Thu Jul 14 23:56:19 CEST 2005

Hi,

I suspect a number of people are already aware of Open Tech, but for those
who aren't - Open Tech 2005 is a follow on from previous years' NotCon events
which are community driven low cost events by geeks & developers for geeks &
developers.

Website: http://www.ukuug.org/events/opentech2005/

This year and it's being held in conjunction with BBC Backstage, UKUUG (UK
Unix Users Group) and NTK, and being held in Hammersmith on July 23rd.
(Backstage is a different part of the BBC from me, but have some fun stuff
here : http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/ )

From a personal perspective highlights look to be Paula LeDieu from Creative
Commons, Ted Nelson (if you don't know who he is, he's basically the father of
Hypertext) and others.

However, I'm also presenting a talk on Kamaelia*. Unlike Python UK &
Europython this is going to be a 15 minute talk, so I'll be focussing on what
we've been doing with Kamaelia, what you can do with Kamaelia, and so
on rather than going through internals.

      * http://kamaelia.sourceforge.net/

In addition though, I wondered: Since my talk on Kamaelia is before lunch - is
there anyone interested in attending a Kamaelia sprint?

There's a variety of possible topics ranging from how to put together simple
Kamaelia systems through to using Kamaelia for simplifying networking on Nokia
mobiles through to using Kamaelia for writing games (since we have some nice
Pygame based components now).

I'll probably be sprinting on converting a proof of concept P2P swarming
algorithm into a protocol for creating TCP server swarms. This is for joining
together multicast islands to make it so that internet broadcasting, rather
than narrowcasting, can become a reality for the BBC - which has clear
benefits for everyone! (Even though the internet is not TV :)

I've mooted this with a couple of people so far who think it's a fun/good
idea, but I'd like to hear from some of the people who go to the london
python meetups before posting to comp.lang.python.

Best Regards,

Michael
 --
Michael Sparks, Senior R&D Engineer, Digital Media Group
Michael.Sparks at rd.bbc.co.uk, http://kamaelia.sourceforge.net/

This e-mail contains personal views which are not the views of the BBC.