[python-sg] Decide upon the list

Martin martin.brochhaus at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 3 03:10:38 CEST 2011

Obviously I'm still reading this list but I will post new posts to Google
Groups only.
We have decided that Facebook will be used like Twitter - to announce stuff
and to socialize. You are absolutely right, technical discussions on
Facebook don't make a lot of sense.

I think we had the mailman vs. Google Groups discussion several times now.

   - I hate that Mailman sends my password in plain text. I know I can
   disable this but a) the admin interface looks so ugly that I just don't want
   to deal with it and b) this tells me that they save my password in plain
   text which is a security no go (of course I use different password for
   everything but this is 2011 - heck, they are even sending all our passwords
   over plain HTTP).
   - After 5 years of subscribing to Mailman lists I have never found out
   how to browse old posts in an intuitive and beautiful way. I mean... just
   look at the so called archives:
   http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-sg/. Using Mailman is fire and
   forget.
   - Is it even possible to participate on Mailman without getting any
   emails into your inbox (as in: read online only?). I think not. Google
   Groups has a nice web interface and can even show your posts since last
   visit.
   - There is no obvious way to search Mailman posts on Google. I know that
   it is possible SOMEHOW but I forgot, that says it all. With Google Groups I
   just search "groupname group searchtearm" and almost always get to the
   result. If not I can still go to the beautiful Groups page and use the
   search box, that will always find the result. Everyone developer in the
   world knows how to do this. Even if there is a similar trick to do this with
   mailman - a new developer interested in Python will not know about Mailman
   and thus will not know the trick.
   - Even if you are able to tell me tricks and workarounds for every
   argument mentioned above this would still mean that you need a Readme for
   using Mailman. We want to grow the Python community. An intuitive system
   would help greatly. Mailman is pushing users away. Everyone on this planet
   knows how to use Facebook and everyone on this planet knows how to use
   Google Groups.
   - The closing of your post underlines my point. The fact that you need to
   be initiated is an argument against Mailman.

These are just my personal opinions. I really don't want to fight. Obviously
I am willing and able to use any system.

Having two groups indeed is the worst case and we should somehow solve this
issue. One group must be closed (I don't really care, which).

Should we setup a doodle and post the link on Facebook, Mailman and Google
Groups and get a more representative vote on this?

Cheers,
Martin