[Python-porting] Volunteer help for porting

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Sep 12 15:46:02 CEST 2010

> Is there anyway I could obtain a list of libraries which need to be
> ported over to python3k, sorted by importance(by importance i mean
> packages which serve as a dependency for larger number of packages
> being more important).

Everybody has his own pet list. Depending on what domain you are working
in, people typically cite:

- web frameworks (Django, Zope, ...)

- database adapters (postgres, mysql, oracle, ODBC, ...)

- SciPy

- Twisted

- build infrastructures (setuptools, zc.buildout, virtualenv, ...)

Having worked on some of these myself, I found that the biggest hurdle
is to get the developers of these packages to accept Py3 changes. They
(the changes) are often pervasive, so they (the developers) shy away of
accepting them - even if they are shallow (as they typically are).

If you pick an arbitrary piece from the list above, you may find that
there is already a patch floating around, work in progress, or so.
Don't make this stop you - it's better to get support for some package
complete, instead of having lingering support around for years.
E.g. I certainly wouldn't mind somebody helping me to complete the
Django port.

I guess we should start a poll on python.org, asking for packages
that people want to see ported.

Regards,
Martin