[Python-porting] Recommended Python version?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jun 15 21:15:59 CEST 2010

> Do you have any other recommendations regarding Python 2 vs. Python 3?

Let me stress what others may have implied: when bind 10 will ship (i.e.
three years from now), every system that comes with Python will also
have python3 available for installation readily, perhaps (but not
necessarily) with the exception of OSX (as Apple doesn't really have
lots of optional packages on the installation media). Of course, OSX
binaries will be available from python.org.

Notice that three years from now, Python 2.6 will not receive any
security updates anymore (at least not from python.org), and 2.7 will be
the only (and last) 2.x release. Of course, system vendors will continue
to ship older Python releases, and manage security fixes themselves.

Also, in three years, Python 3.2 will have seen its last bug fix
release, and be in security-fix-only mode (along with 3.1); the current
release will be Python 3.3.

So I'd claim that an effort to continue supporting 2.7 for a new product
is likely a waste of time, and would lead to code clutter.

Regards,
Martin