[Python-porting] Porting guides in the Wiki

Georg Brandl georg at python.org
Sun Dec 7 13:34:20 CET 2008

Hi,

I've created two porting guide skeletons in the Wiki. The portal page

  http://wiki.python.org/moin/PortingToPy3k

links to one page for Python code, one page for C code.  The C code one
is currently a copy of the doc Benjamin wrote (which I completely forgot
about).  It can serve as a good starting point.

For the Python code one, I've just started a list of topics and pasted
Martin's comments from psycopg2 porting.

Perhaps we should also collect blog posts from module authors porting
their modules?

Some notes for editors:

* Please keep the formatting as reST, so that the finished docs can easily
  be put into the official docs when ready.

* Use Sphinx roles if you know them; this will make proper marking up
  faster.  To make the stock docutils not complain about Sphinx roles
  in the text, put a role directive at the top of the page for each
  Sphinx role you introduce.  For example, for the :func: role, add

  .. role:: func(literal)

* Otherwise, please don't feel restricted by anything.  Feel free to add
  just notes, comments, links or whatever -- it is a wiki after all.

cheers,
Georg