[python-nl] Python Meetup Octobre 22nd

Mallory van Achterberg stommepoes at stommepoes.nl
Mon Sep 1 16:11:38 CEST 2014

On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 01:35:42PM +0200, Reinout van Rees wrote:
> On 01-09-14 08:35, Mallory van Achterberg wrote:
> >That said, I tend to see the general PUN meetings as pretty much
> >pure/mostly Python and scheduled to be*anywhere*, and the Byte
> >meetups as being fairly Python but also broader (talks on Ansible,
> >regexen, CMSes, that sort of thing) and based in Amsterdam.
>
> Pure python? Not really. We don't have talks on perl/node/whatever,
> but we do have talks on django (web), plone (cms), GIS systems, etc.
The ones you list stick closer to Python, wereas the Ansible talk,
while from the point of view of someone working at a Python shop,
was focussed on pros and cons of Ansible.
Byte also doesn't go to other languages like Perl or node, that's
a different idea (that possibly at some point a purposely-mixed
meeting could be set up, separate from general Byte and PUN and
AmsterdamX meetings).
I didn't mean PUN talks are necessarily nitty-gritty l33t-haxx0r
stuff :)

> There aren't many talks that are pure about something very
> python-internal. There was one at the last PUN, though, a nice one
> about "async, coroutines, event loops", which looks a bit like the
> "Python, Parallelism and Concurrency" that you've planned :-)
I do wonder how similar it will be to Tikitu's talk, which btw was
very, very nice :)

> >I also see the PUN meetings as being more Dutch-language, and the
> >talks feel often more detailed and technical in general (maybe also
> >because they can be longer) than the Byte talks. Again, I see them
> >as separate and complimentary.
>
> Dutch-language? All the talks are in English, unless everyone
> understands Dutch.
I thought it was other way around: they'd be in Dutch, unless someone
in the audience didn't understand.
But so then in any case my view was wrong.

> Most of the talking during the breaks is in Dutch unless there's
> someone standing next to you that talks English. Perhaps this is
> different at the Byte meetings?
People before/between talks do in whatever language works, so a group
of all-Dutch speakers may speak in Dutch. Talks so far seem to all be
in English, though I dunno if that was always the case.

> How long are the talks at Byte? I'm used to (2) talks of max 30
> minutes. Sounds like you do 15 minute talks or so?

Seems to also depend on how many there are? Last time Job did a talk
where he was told it had to fit in 20 minutes but a) someone canceled
and b) he went way over anyway because it's hard to really show
functional programming in just 20 minutes :P

But Folkje knows the schedule rules best!

_mallory