[python-nl] Need a pointer... how to create an application or website and use Python

Kuno Woudt kuno at frob.nl
Thu Apr 18 20:31:13 CEST 2013

On 18-04-13 09:07, Niels Bom wrote:
> If you're still fairly new to Python I would start doing simple
> commandline scripts/applications first. Later on switch to websites
> and/or GUI applications.
>
> This will bypass a big stack of problems/challenges you get when
> you're making Python-powered websites. I've no experience with GUI
> applications but a wild guess is that it's similar.

The biggest challenge with GUI applications I found is that you
typically will have to use a toolkit (Qt, GTK, or their windows/mac os x
equivalents) which is not written in python, and for which the bindings
will also not be very pythonic.  For example when using Qt you will soon
need to know how to convert a python string to a QString and back, and
all kinds of other details which are very specific to the toolkit and
which do not help you appreciate and learn python in any way.  (My
experience is with Qt only, perhaps this is less of a problem in other
toolkits, but I do expect most of them to suffer from this in various
degrees).

-- kuno / warp.