[python-nl] django/python meeting split?

Remco Wendt remco at maykinmedia.nl
Fri Apr 27 11:24:30 CEST 2012

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 22:20, Reinout van Rees <reinout at vanrees.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Personally, I wonder if we should be a bit more vigilant regarding the
> django/python split. We have django meetings (always in Amsterdam) and
> python meetings (all over the place).

It always good to evaluate choices from the past every now and then. So
thanks for starting this. Personally I wouldn't mind in having more Python
meetups where there is room for interesting Django talks, as there is room
for interesting talks about other cool (web) frameworks. But then again
there actually tend to be a slightly larger audience at the Django meetups,
strangely enough. So I would be interested to find out what other people
think about this.

Also we decided on this because we didn't want to bore the non-Django
python crowd with a lot of nitty gritty details about the Django framework.
Sure there is interesting stuff in Django for all Pythonauts. But that only
goes so far. And like you mention yourself Django in itself has a large
user base.

> But the last django meeting was about 50% generic Python content, at least
> it seemed that way to me.

That sure has a reference to my presentation, since someone made that
remark already during the questions :)

My definition of a good presentation for a meetup is: it should be of
interest to the majority of the audience. So sure, with my presentation
about profiling I didn't show a line of code from the Django code base, but
is the concept of code/memory profiling of interest to most Django
developers? I think it is. I'm also going to give this presentation, in an
improved form, at the PyGrunn conference, so there I'll talk to the general
Python population ;)

Also, and unfortunately, we still don't have the luxury of choosing from a
broad range of different presentations. I would love for more people to
tell about what they are doing, and every meetup I make an effort in trying
to get people enthousiastic about sharing their knowledge and insights with
the rest of the community. But only a very small number of people actually
decide to do a presentation in the end.

> If I brainstorm about it, these are my thoughts:
>
> - Do we need the django/python split? Django *is* very popular, so it has
> a separate market. But then we should safeguard the Django content a bit
> more.

Safeguarding content is a luxury for when there are enough presentations :)
What do you think of my definition?

> - Does this mean no django content at the python meetings?

Personally I don't really see things this strict.

> - Hey, I haven't heard a plone talk in 2 years time.
>
> - When was the last Arnhem/Veenendaal/Rotterdam/**The Hague meeting?

The ABC treehouse is an easy deal for us. I've also not been very active in
asking around and scouting for new meetup locations of late, so that is
partially me to blame. If people would love to host a python meetup in a
different city please let me know.

Cheers,
Remco
--