[python-nl] Python at Schools

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Sun Oct 11 01:06:03 CEST 2009

On 5 okt 2009, at 12:17, Matthijs Kadijk wrote:

> If you want to teach kids the principles of programming (variables,
> loops, functions) it can be done independent of the programming
> language. I suggest to have a look a scratch, a x platform
> (smalltalk based ?) visual programming environment. You build small
> (object oriented) script using drag en drop, like solving a jig saw
> puzzle. The GUI is available in multiple languages, including the
> command pieces you can use. So this can be used by even very young
> programmers. It also has a strong visual bias, you can draw spites
> and program their behaviour. I think you should be able to show that
> programming is FUN, and it does not really matter wich language you
> use to express yourself ..
>
> you can find it here: http://scratch.mit.edu/ I am sure you will
> like it and so will your pupils ...

Scratch is really really nice. I only wish it had a "python escape":
if there was a way to implement code for each of the block types
(statement, conditional, expression, etc) in Python it would be a very
nice way to gradually lead kids from the visual building block
paradigm to textual languages.
--
Jack Jansen, <Jack.Jansen op cwi.nl>, http://www.cwi.nl/~jack
Goldman