[Python-mode] different set of colors for pairs

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Oct 18 15:49:33 CEST 2013

On Oct 18, 2013, at 10:21 AM, Andreas Röhler wrote:

>IMO python-mode may provide what experienced developers need and beginners
>expect likewise - given the feature wanted will not go into the way of the
>real thing.
>
>In this case it wouldn't, as the default would inherit the key-word face.
>
>If we want to have more users and maybe developers, we must meet the wishes
>of beginners too - even if experience tells these wishes are not that
>justified to the extend.
>
>BTW there are also experienced programmers preferring what you called
>Tokyo-style - while I'm with you in the precise question.
>
>Adding things to font-lock-keywords themselves, that possibility is certainly
>at the core of Emacs.  Demonstrating the relative easiness of extending at SO
>should encourage further action by the OP.

You have to be careful though.  More features means more complexity, in the
code (which introduces bugs just purely through LoC increase), in the
documentation, and in users' comprehension.  It's not a pure win to add
configurability and at some point it just gets too difficult to understand how
all the different options interact with each other.

It's okay to say no, and it's okay to be opinionated!  This is after all,
Lisp, and it's often just as easy for someone to hack their own .emacs files.
I do think there's a lot of benefit in providing a lean, mean editing mode.

>Okay, thanks responding,
>
>Hmm, Barry, did you veto it?
>
>If you want to veto, please signal again,

I don't feel like I have the right to veto python-mode decisions any more.
For a long while you've done very nearly all of the work on the mode, so IMHO,
that gives you the right and responsibility to make these types of decisions.
I'm just a user these days. (But certainly still opinionated. ;)

However, I would vote -1 on this particular feature.

Cheers,
-Barry