[Python-mode] TAB-completion, lp:1252029

Andreas Röhler andreas.roehler at online.de
Wed Nov 20 18:20:29 CET 2013

Am 20.11.2013 15:25, schrieb Barry Warsaw:
> On Nov 20, 2013, at 03:20 PM, Andreas Röhler wrote:
>
>> TAB seems expected frequently as bound to completion, while it indents in
>> python-mode.
>>
>> IMO it's possible to combine both: a first TAB at most outdented position now
>> does nothing - which would be the occasion for complete.  Second TAB than
>> should close the completion buffer and jump back to col 0.
>
> I never use TAB completion in python-mode,

that's no surprise, as there is no such thing and wasn't. :)

> but I do use dabbrev-expand.

one of the greatest Emacs features IMO

> Perhaps make this configurable - yeah, yet another variable :/

BTW there is no need to "learn" all these variables - as we might safely ignore most of the others at Emacs.
The goal is a reasonable default - and the possibility to meet requests the moment they show up.
Than it's time to lookup still.

Finally not sure if the possible confusion from TAB-completion might outweight the gain.
TAB-completion would only work at the outmost indent, but can't be provided at the other, which seems
not straight.

Still reflecting...

Cheers,

Andreas