[Python-mode] hide-show mode

Andreas Röhler andreas.roehler at online.de
Sun Jan 29 09:39:27 CET 2012

Am 29.01.2012 03:28, schrieb François Pinard:
> Andreas Röhler<andreas.roehler at online.de>  writes:
>
>> Introduced two variables
>
>>   `py-outline-minor-mode-p'
>>   `py-hide-show-minor-mode-p'
>
>> which are nil by default, so user shouldn't notice it
>> without deliberate setting.
>
> What is best for the average user?  Not noticing the capabilities, or
> enjoying them?  The default should be set according to what is best for
> the average user.
>
> So I take that you consider the average user should rather not be aware
> of these capabilities.

Oh, oh, so what kind of punishment you have prepared? :)

outline and hide-show mode are common Emacs features and will work with
python-mode out-of-the-box.

The question here is, if it should be switched on by default.
Read "notice" here as "being activated, thus get noticed"

Well, for novices, if these features are on, using some key per chance
without knowing what happens, that may turn nasty.

Therefor it's not delivered switched-on by default, that has being the
reflection.

>> Hope it's okay for you
>
> Did you update README?  That file should speak about capabilities and
> elementary configuration.  It should be updated synchronously while
> capabilities are added or changed.
>
> I understand it cannot be written all at once.  So, let's have it
> written progressively.  I see this as the most fruitful way to
> eventually get a useful README.  Currently, the documentation of
> python-mode is severely lagging, really, so aggressive habits should be
> set to repair that.
>
> François
>
> P.S. Sending users for fishing in the Emacs Lisp sources is not an
> alternative for some documentation.  Python users are not Emacs Lisp
> people, and we should not push them into becoming Emacs Lisp people.

Agreed. Will do what I can, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday,
Donnerstag... - the day of donar :)

Cheers,

Andreas