[Python-mode] python-mode.el 6.0 released

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri Jan 27 05:44:39 CET 2012

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler at online.de> writes:

>>> make sure python-mode.el is earlier in path than python.el

>> Does add-to-list do that?

> Good question. M-x describe-variable RET load-path should tell you.

While I understand Andreas reply, we should not loose sight that Python
users do not necessarily want to know that much about Emacs.  There is a
quite a long way between starting Emacs to edit Python code, and knowing
about Emacs variables, discovering M-x functions like describe-variable
(there are so many of these functions, and so many ways to get help),
and load-path details.

To develop python-mode, knowing Emacs more deeply is inescapable. To use
python-mode, we should expect about nothing from user knowledge about
Emacs Lisp.

So, for any basic "good question", this is python-mode's README that
should tell you.  It should be sufficient to get fully started.

François