[Python-mode] few python-mode questions

Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala yagnesh at live.com
Fri Jan 20 14:49:09 CET 2012

Hello Andreas and all,

I would like to use python-mode for my work. I have few questions and hope
to get few comments and suggestion and prior apologies for very basic
questions and long mail.

Consider me as a noob at Python and python-mode but not to the Emacs. I
need to write code only in Python3. Right now I have only one line
customization for python-mode in my .emacs i.e,

,----
| (require 'python-mode)
`----

and I have Python 3.2.2, ipython 0.11.2 and Emacs from bzr trunk.

with that intro my questions are,

1) `py-shell-name' to "ipython"
   I see ipython is working great with in the Emacs. But even if I set
   (setq py-shell-name "ipython") and press a C-c C-c in Python buffer
   it still is not taking to *IPython* buffer. how can I use ipython as
   my Python shell

2) auto completion:

   what exactly I should have in my .emacs to get auto completion in
   python-mode. Again auto-completion with TAB working great in *IPython*
   buffer but not python-mode.

   I see the difficulty of getting auto-completion in python-mode
   buffer and auto completion helper function should know the type of the
   object at point to get the correct list of possible completions. My
   instinct was to why not use "ipython" for receiving auto
   completions.

3) how to refer python-mode:

  Stupid question but I am asking because different modes and names floating
  around for Python.

more questions to follow once I figure out these

PS: Many thanks to python-mode developers especially to Andreas for the
hard work you put on this mode.

Thanks

--
Yagnesh