[Python-mode] huge files

Andreas Röhler andreas.roehler at online.de
Wed Feb 15 09:34:36 CET 2012

Am 14.02.2012 22:31, schrieb Andrea Crotti:
> It looks like it's a common "problem" in the Elisp world, but I was
> wondering is it normal to have huge source files.
>
> python-mode.el is > 10k lines now, which for me causes two problems:
> - it's hard to even know the various functionalities
> - it's hard to manage the file
>
> I see various things that could be very easily splitted
> - virtualenv
> - ipython
> - pdbtrack (maybe)
> - defcustom-defvar (or maybe better by topic taking the variables together)
>
> and probably more.
> Since it doesn't do any difference in terms of performance and it's
> much less intimidating to try to grasp, is there a reason to keep all in
> one big file?

think it's basically historical.

People interested in developing/understanding might check out and use
the components branch

https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode/components-python-mode

I'm doing all my developing and Python editing there.
It's sometimes ahead several days, if new features are introduced. But
the same tests are run before commits, so a possible loss in stability
is mince.

BTW in future we could create a declared stable branch of components and
make two tarballs for release.

CC to Barry for this question.

Andreas