[Python-mode] trying to upgrade

Andreas Röhler andreas.roehler at online.de
Sun Apr 8 08:41:57 CEST 2012

Am 08.04.2012 01:54, schrieb Glenn Linderman:
> Hi Andreas, et alia,
>
> Slowly the wheels turn, and progress is made. And then there are bumps in the road. This is probably a bump.

> You might recall that I was stuck on an old version of emacs because of incompatibilities newer versions had with AutoHotKey. It was more important for me to be compatible,
> than to run the latest emacs. Then recently I discovered the beta emacs is now compatible with AutoHotKey again, at least, as much as the old version was (there are still
> some issues, but they are not new).
>
> So references here are to this emacs:
>
> GNU Emacs 24.0.93.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
> of 2012-02-15 on MARVIN
>
> So I upgraded to the above new emacs, and now am upgrading to the new python-mode.el. I was running python-mode.el 6.0.2 and I see 6.0.5 is now the latest version, so I
> downloaded it, tweaked my load-path to point to the new one, and opened a quite valid, successfully executing Python 3 source file.
>
> The following error appeared in the minibar:
>
> Error in menu-bar-update-hook (imenu-update-menubar): (error Lisp nesting exceeds `max-lisp-eval-depth')

Hi Glenn

might be related to some indexing issue.

customize py-imenu-create-index-p to nil should avoid this anyway.

I'm testing with Emacs24 too from time to time and it passed as Emacs23 so far.

Nonetheless Emacs24 got some major changes and has some issues still.
Unless actively developing it, recommend Emacs23 for all productive work.

As for the rest, let's try to solve the knot by doing it one by one.

- disable all optional features as outline-mode - customize py-outline-minor-mode-p nil

If you still encounter some issues with latest release, please send an example file which triggers it, resp. make a bug report.

Best regards,

Andreas