[Python-mode] bug lp:328842, flexible-indentation of multiline assignements

Andreas Röhler andreas.roehler at online.de
Fri Mar 25 20:58:22 CET 2011

Am 25.03.2011 16:54, schrieb Barry Warsaw:
> On Mar 25, 2011, at 09:51 AM, Andreas Röhler wrote:
>
>> while considering the request valid, even if the current
>> non-indent is an option,
>>
>> what's the recommendable indent?
>>
>> Would not choose the block-indent step, rather signal
>> it's something different at stake.
>>
>> What about indenting it to the end of first element of
>> previous line?
>>
>> ;;;;;;;;;;;
>> (longer, sequence, of_items,
>>         that, needs, to_be, wrapped) = input_list
>>
>> packed_entry = (long, sequence, of_items,
>>                  that, needs, to_be, wrapped)
>> ;;;;;;;;;;
>
> I must be missing something because these two snippets get indented like this
> for me, running r405:
>
> -----snip snip-----
> (longer, sequence, of_items,
>   that, needs, to_be, wrapped) = input_list
>
> packed_entry = (long, sequence, of_items,
>                  that, needs, to_be, wrapped)
> -----snip snip-----
>
> which seems exactly right to me!

Noticed.

As different styles are possible, think we can deliver what has been
requested for.

> If you do introduce a variable to control this, please do retain the current
> behavior as default.

Okay.

Would help having an appropriate name for these indents.

What about calling the first an `left-inbound indent' --default will be
1--, the second `right-inbound-indent' --default will be (1+ column of
opening parentesis)--