[Python-mode] [PDEE] CEDET integration with python-mode.el?

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Tue Mar 16 22:34:51 CET 2010

Have you tried to use CEDET with python.el? If so, how did it work?
Why I ask:

I'm a longtime (though not expert) emacs user (currently using

GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.0)
 of 2009-09-27 on crested, modified by Debian

aka ubuntu karmic package=emacs-snapshot), new python coder, and
former cperl and JDEE

http://jdee.sourceforge.net/

user. I'd like to have a python development environment for emacs
(PDEE) as useful as JDEE. Given my version of emacs, I got, and am
trying out, python.el, but I'm also trying out python-mode.el. It's
working well enough, but I'd really appreciate features like smart
completion. I'll try setting up pycomplete, but note

pycomplete.py
> (untried w/ GNU Emacs so far)
> This is unlikely to be done the way Emacs completion ought to be done,

It Seems To Me (quite possibly naively) that the best/easiest way to
get smarter completion particularly, and several more services
besides, is to use CEDET

http://cedet.sourceforge.net/

(as does JDEE). So I'm wondering if you (collectively) or someone you
know has tried that, how it worked, and (if it worked) what init.el
config code was required.

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>