[Python-mode] Problem with Multi-Line Comments

Andreas Roehler andreas.roehler at online.de
Fri Dec 11 19:13:55 CET 2009

Kent Borg wrote:
> Andreas Roehler wrote:
>> BTW which system/version/emacs you are using?
>
> kentborg at bottom:~$ emacs --version
> GNU Emacs 22.2.1
> GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> You may redistribute copies of Emacs
> under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
> For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.
> kentborg at bottom:~$ uname -a
> Linux bottom 2.6.28-17-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 1 18:57:07 UTC
> 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
> kentborg at bottom:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
> 5.0
> kentborg at bottom:~$ cat /etc/issue
> Ubuntu 9.04 \n \l
>

> I am running Gnome under GDM, but "emacs -nw" acts the same way.
>
> I notice that when typing that while typing the quote marks, the
> highlighting seems to be simply counting open-close-open-close, etc.
> (Clever that three quotes is an odd number so it looks to naive syntax
> highlighting a bit like a single quote.)
>
> Does your emacs update highlighting when you type one quote?

Yes
 Does it
> update it again after a second?

It does it immediatly.

  What does it do after a third?  And,
> what does it do on the close set?
>
> Oh, one more thing: I moved my .emacs aside

no need for that, emacs -q or emacs -Q is the right thing then

 to make sure it isn't the
> problem...and it seems it is not.

When started emacs -q you should not encounter that problem - maybe others...

Already tried to tackle the issue. Works with GNU Emacs for me, not with XEmacs until now.
Introduced some stuff from python.el - defconst python-font-lock-syntactic-keywords etc.

Patch attached - not polished yet, but works here some weeks now.

Andreas