[Python-mode] python.el can't find python to execute

dsyzling dsyzling at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 15:46:44 CEST 2008

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Wolff wrote:
 > Hello, I am trying to get python to work with GNU emacs 22.1 on
 >windows. I am trying to get the default python.el that comes with
emacs >to work.

I'm using Emacs 22.2.1 on windows with both the Windows python and
cygwin python.

 > In particular, I am having difficulty actually starting python with
 > emacs. Eg. If I open a .py file and try to send it to the interpreter
 >with C-c C-c, or try to run it directly, M-x run-python, or try to
 >start it from the python menu (“Start Interpreter”) – all three lead
to >the same message: “apply: Searching for program: no such file or
 >directory, python.”

Are you using the default Windows cmd.exe shell?

If so try M-x shell and then:

python -i

That should work better for you.

What does (getenv "PATH") - eval the expression in a scratch buffer or
from the minibuffer it should list your paths. Is Python on your path?

I had issues with default python.el with windows - specifically starting
the cygwin python interpret though. You could try the updated/patched
version of python.el mentioned here:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PythonMode

Darren